How to Pick a Supplement Brand
Not all supplements are created equal. We take supplements so that we can stay healthy, but many people don't realize that low-quality products can do more harm than good.
Sometimes people wonder why they should pay more for a respected brand instead of choosing their cheaper version. The reality is that the added price doesn't always come from marketing expenses. Scientific research, high-quality ingredients, production standards, and clinical application are what should matter for the consumer.
- Many supplements contain the wrong form of a nutrient. Many nutrients come in different forms and some are more bioavailable meaning they are absorbed and converted by the body properly. One example is Vitamin B12 which comes in three forms – cyanocobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, and methylcobalamin – the most absorbable and bioavailable form is methylcobalamin. The worst form is cyanocobalamin and that is what is commonly found in multivitamins.
Many are taking the wrong dose of a nutrient.
It is a common occurrence for a patient to dismiss a nutrient as ineffective when in reality they were taking an incorrect dose. There are thousands of nutritional research studies that provide evidence that vitamins, minerals, and herbs help prevent and treat serious diseases, including mental illness and heart disease, when the nutrients are supplied in sufficient doses. This is the key: the correct dose is required.
- Breakdown/Absorption: Another concern with supplements is whether you are absorbing the nutrients you are ingesting. For you to do that, the capsule has to be able to break down at the correct moment. Most practitioners prescribe professional quality supplements that are powder or vegetable capsule-based and rarely prescribe tablets as tablets are much more difficult to break down and properly absorb. When the supplements you take aren’t absorbed, they simply pass through the digestive system and are eliminated with no benefit to you.
- Excipients: Excipients are the “other” inactive ingredients in supplements that don’t contribute any nutritional value. Also, they can often be dangerous or cause harm upon ingestion. These often include binders, fillers, flow agents, disintegrants, coloring, and preservatives.
- MSG - "natural flavors," term often used
- Heavy Metals and Chemicals
- Maltodextrin that is made from GM corn
- Ascorbic acid is vitamin C which is made from GM corn
- Artificial food coloring
- Titanium Dioxide
- Soy Lecithin made GM soy and any hexane extracted additives (this is unregulated and usually comes from China)
- Mono and Diglycerides
- GMO-free vitamins or Organic
- Truly natural made from a natural whole food source
- From a reputable company with a track record of the highest quality of processing and manufacturing
- Some good research data and clinical application
- Using a third-party lab to test for purity, contaminants, toxins, and proper dosage
- Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP) certifications
- Content and Purity of Ingredients: Numerous store-brand supplements aren't what their labels claim to be. In an investigation on a variety of herbal supplements from four major retailers: GNC, Target, Walmart and Walgreen Co. Lab tests determined that only 21 percent of the products actually had DNA from the plants advertised on the labels. The investigation found supplements were contaminated with substances including rice, beans, pine, citrus, asparagus, primrose, wheat, houseplant, and wild carrot. In many cases, unlisted contaminants were the only plant material found in the product samples.
Professional Botanicals’ Promise to You:
Your Peace of Mind
Established in 1980, Professional Botanicals has the experience you can trust. Our company is designed and formulated by doctors, for doctors, so results are imperative. The newly formed Company sold no products for the first 6 months and gathered research to prepare product formulas during that time. The targeted market is doctors for use with their patients. This requires that (1) products must be effective, (2) products must work in a relatively short time, and (3) cost is not the first consideration.
Founder, Chuck Millet would team with Dr. Bruce Halstead, a world-renown herbalist, researcher, medical doctor, and author of over 300 books. He introduced Chuck to renowned world herb researcher, Dr. Norman Farnsworth. Halstead also obtained research from the World Health Organization and gathered data from all around the world for the formulation of Professional Botanicals products.
In addition to Millet, Halstead, and Farnsworth, the team was comprised of many experienced researchers, herbalists, nutritionists, and practicing physicians. The newly assembled "nutrition dream team" started to meet regularly. Once their research was evaluated, and the formulas were completed, the doctors began using them with patients. The resulting product line proved to be highly effective in treating specific health conditions. For more than four decades, these products have been used for treatment, prevention, and improving overall health for thousands of patients all over the world.
We select only the finest raw ingredients and process in facilities that meet or exceed “Good Manufacturing Practice” (GMP) standards. These standards are rigorous and ensure the utmost quality. Products go through extensive testing for content, purity, and strength, and are certified contamination-free by three independent laboratories.
We exclude the use of excipients. This means every ingredient found in every formula is there for a specific purpose. No fillers, no GMOs, no flow agents, no chemicals, no colorants, only nature and wild-sourced ingredients contained in vegetable capsules free from GM corn and 100% vegan.
Rest easy knowing our products are gluten-free, preservative-free, GMO-free, artificial sugar or sweetener free, and soy* and dairy* free. No added egg, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, gluten, yeast, or preservatives. (*unless clearly marked). We believe that quality and effectiveness come first always.
These are not run-of-the-mill products. Our specific formulations target what you need to get well. Unlike supplements with one isolated ingredient, our natural formulas contain interactive ingredients that support healing. Our formulas are a scientific combination of target (ingredients that work together for a specific outcome) and tonic (ingredients that support a specific area) ingredients formulated for maximum impact and effectiveness.
As the first company to use specific, all-natural botanical formulations that contain a powerful blend of interactive ingredients, our products improve the healing potential with multiple key ingredients. The research team came to believe that formulas would be superior to single herb ingredient products for the following reasons:
Many different herbs have a closely similar effect on the body. Using more than one herb at one time may improve the effect for the desired primary nutritional support resulting in a better product.
Stress in one area of the body often causes stress in other areas of the body. Therefore, herbs providing secondary area support may improve the health or wellness progress.
Sometimes a deficiency of a particular nutrient, vitamin, or mineral in the body prevents the cellular or tissue repair needed for optimum health. Therefore, adding a nutrient commonly known to contribute to the repair process may improve the wellness progress. It would be less costly to include it in the formula that requires the purchase of a separate product bottle to achieve the same result.
When multiple are introduced, a synergistic effect may result. That means the total effect is more than the total of the individual parts.
Since at least some of those taking the products may have poor digestion and products taken, but not absorbed, are of no benefit, all products contain plant enzymes. The plant enzymes are added at the last stage of manufacturing and operate in a pH range from 2.4 to 9.3. These enzymes promote the breakdown and release of the product nutrients to increase their bio-availability to the body.
Our unique Enzyme Delivery System (EDS) with Adaptogens stimulates and support the body as it heals. Combining specific co-factors that quicken the desired result, Professional Botanicals targets the secondary systems along with the primary system to ensure effective results, long-term healing, and improved functioning throughout the entire body.
Formulations are essential to ensure that the active part of the products is delivered to the correct part of the body, in the right concentration, and at the correct rate to ensure efficacy and pleasant taste. Our competent formulations are safer, more effective, and more economical than any of their components used singularly. At Professional Botanicals we believe in the effectiveness of our products and stand behind their quality.
Our Enzymes Delivery System (EDS)
It’s all about the enzymes. These vital proteins help break down our food (and are all but missing from our convenient, modern diets). The obsession with over-processed and preserved foods has dramatically changed our body’s ability to break down nutrients and convert them to energy. Each Professional Botanicals product contains the optimal dosage of balanced enzymes. This means that every product is assimilated into the body properly and incorporates the rest of your diet too.
Enzymes are the sparks that start the essential chemical reactions our bodies need to live. They are necessary for digesting food, stimulating the brain, providing cellular energy, and repairing all tissues, organs, and cells. Enzymes are very important to the overall healthy function of the human body, yet few people know what they are, how they work, and what benefits can be found in supplementing them.
Enzymes are protein molecules that act as organic catalysts that allow many of the different chemical reactions to occur in the body every day to maintain homeostasis, without which the body can’t function. A better question perhaps is, “What don’t they do?” Enzymes are involved in everything from digesting food to repairing muscle tissues after working out. Many enzymes function by lowering the “activation energy” of chemical reactions. The “energy of activation” as it is known is the minimum amount of energy that is required for a reaction to occur. The energy of activation varies widely between reactions. To make the reactions easier, the enzymes will often weaken chemical bonds allowing the reactions to occur much faster, sometimes 100 times faster than if the reactions occurred without the enzymes.
Every Professional Botanicals product contains a blend of essential enzymes that works synergistically to break down supplements as soon as they hit the stomach. This means you can be reassured your body is absorbing each and every capsule you swallow.
Our Adaptogen Blend (ADPT)
Adaptogens are an elite group of botanicals that work on a cellular level to support the body’s ability to function, adjust and perform. They support the body’s ability to prosper in our ever-changing environments by not only supporting each individual cell but also the essential glands and organs of the body. Professional Botanicals uses a proprietary blend of Adaptogens to boost the effectiveness and performance of every formula.
Botanical Adaptogens, as their name suggests, primarily help the body adapt and overcome the influences of physical, chemical, or biological stressors, which in turn reduce potential damage associated with these stressors. Adaptogens also support your body in the following areas:
- Correct Dysfunctions In Sick/Healthy Individuals
- Herbal Tonic – Strengthen, Normalize & Regulate Body Functions
- Help Stress-Related Responses
- Improve Mental/Physical Performance
- Boost Immunity
- Normalize Blood Pressure, Blood Glucose, Cholesterol, Hormones
- Reduce Fatigue
- Improve Cell Function
- Encourage Cell Growth
- Increase Cell Survival
- Boost Energy Levels
We know your confidence is important, and we are confident in our products and your experience. That is why our employees and our families use these products daily. We are available via phone, text, or chat to answer any of your questions and help find what formula would be best suited to your needs. We treat our customers like family and will always take the time and consideration as such.